We all have days when we are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy. That's okay. You need to have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy? You appreciate your good days even more when you have the occasional bad day for contrast. What is black without white? Even though sadness is a part of life, let's try to make it a small part of life. With that said, here are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to practice every day, and they work!
* Stand up straight and sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
* Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective. This technique can also change the way others react to you, which can further elevate your mood.
* Repeat positive affirmations. Things like "I feel good", "Positive energy flows through my body", "I see the good in all". Always phrase your affirmations is a positive way. For example, “I hate smoking” becomes “I love taking deep breaths of fresh air”. One more very important thing about affirmations, you must infuse your affirmations with emotion. This is the key to making affirmations work.
* Listen to some music that you like. It doesn't have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than others, so experiment and see what works for you. Studies have shown that classical music and new age music work best.
* Take some “me” time. Indulge yourself in something you enjoy, such as:
o Relax and read a book.
o Take up a hobby
o Slip into a bubble bath
o Watch a sunrise or sunset
* Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you well in all that you do. If you have a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state.
Just search for "meditation music" on Google or Yahoo and explore.
* Exercise. This doesn't have to mean pumping iron! Even something as simple as taking a walk will get your blood flowing. Believe me, you will feel better.
Our outside world is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that you have the power to change your perception. These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don't just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them every day, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the blues away. On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can't seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life, don't take any chances.
Author: Mark McCoid